[Equest-users] Integrated Window Blinds in Dual Pane Windows

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sun Dec 23 00:45:42 PST 2012

Peter,

I think this is a very unwise way to model complex fenestration, because you'll be using
the Simple Window Model in DOE-2, which assumes that the angular
variation of SHGC and temperature variation of U-factor are the same as for single-pane
clear glass.  I haven't followed the development of LBNL's Window (not Windows :-))
program for the past five years, but the program used to produce a text "WINDOW 4" file
that can be read into DOE-2 or eQUEST.    If this is still possible, I would recommend
using that method.  There are still the questions of venetian blind shading that is not
dependent only on the angle of incidence, but also the azimuth relative to the blinds
(there must be a technical term for this, but I don't know that off the cuff), and if you
want to change the angle of the venetian blinds depending on season.  I can think of ways
of dealing with these issues, but it would require writing a USER FUNCTION, which I don't
think has been implemented in DOE-2.2.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.