[Equest-users] 90.1 Baseline Envelope Interpretation

Daniel Kaler DanielK at mepassociates.com
Mon Feb 6 14:40:26 PST 2012

Hi All,

I am having trouble fully comprehending ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G, referring to existing building envelopes. The building I am modeling was previously a maintenance shop with practically zero insulation. In addition to the basic building envelope, the southern facing exposure is essentially 4 large garage doors.

The entire envelope was gutted and replaced with a brick/concrete wall and corresponding insulation. In addition to the envelope upgrade, the entire interior was remodeled to be utilized as an office building. Appendix G leads to me to believe that I should be modeling the building envelope as if the garage doors are still in place. i.e. the offices will have a garage door modeled as the wall type with a significant amount of infiltration. This seems counter-intuitive to me, but I want to verify that I am doing it correctly.

Any input would be helpful, Thanks.

Daniel Kaler
Energy Engineer, EIT

MEP ASSOCIATES
engineers  |  consultants  |  commissioning
MEP Associates, LLC | 2720 Arbor Court | Eau Claire, WI 54701
Phone: 715.832.5680 | Fax: 715.832.5668 |www.mepassociates.com