[Equest-users] 90.1 Baseline Envelope Interpretation

Maria Karpman maria.karpman at karpmanconsulting.net
Tue Feb 7 08:48:25 PST 2012

Nick and Daniel,

On a high level, Appendix G baseline is a virtual building configured as
described in Appendix G and compliant with requirements of 90.1 applicable
to this configuration.  In order to comply with 90.1, major renovation
projects are generally not required to retrofit envelope so that it meets
the current requirements of ASHRAE 90.1, which explains provision of
G3.1.5.f to use existing envelope in the baseline. However, when renovation
involves change in space conditioning category, e.g. an old semiheated
warehouse is converted into an office building, 90.1 requires that all
systems including envelope are brought into compliance with the current
provisions:

4.1.1.5 Changes in Space Conditioning. Whenever

unconditioned or semiheated spaces in a building are converted

to conditioned spaces, such conditioned spaces shall

be brought into compliance with all the applicable requirements

of this standard that would apply to the building envelope,

heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, service water

heating, power, lighting, and other systems and equipment of

the space as if the building were new.

It looks like Daniel's project is subject to this requirement. I don't know
what's LEED policy on that, but a few modeling-based incentive programs that
I am involved with do not allow using existing condition as envelope
baseline for projects that involve changes in space conditioning. Otherwise
they get incentive windfall for doing what they are required to do in order
to meet energy code (in states where energy code is aligned with 90.1). For
a LEED project, I would make sure that systems other than envelope (e.g.
HVAC, lighting, etc.) are efficient enough to meet EAc1 target in case
envelope baseline is questioned by LEED reviewers.

Thanks,

Maria