[Equest-users] BEMP Exam

Pasha Korber-Gonzalez pasha.pkconsulting at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:23:03 PST 2012

Hi Omer,

There wasn't any 90.1 specific questions because in the bigger picture of
the exam and modeling world, any Standard can be referenced for
establishing a baseline, and the exam was not biased towards ASHRAE
Standards themselves.   Although I can't remember the questions
specifically, I can describe the approach a bit.

The questions were more of a "reasoning" style, it might be something like
".....the lighting energy is reduced, the cooling energy is reduced, and
the heating energy is increased....What type of ECM is being applied?"

Don't be fooled though, the questions were worded quite long (not short &
too the point), and they of course needed to be organized in your thoughts
for which information was actually needed to perform the calculations.

I would suggest that at a minimum you will need to know your basic Load
Design calculations (i.e. 1.085 x CFM x DeltaT)    and others of that
nature.

If you know your design basics that contribute to the Whole Building
Science of sustainable design and thus energy simulation then you will be
prepared for the exam.    It truly is an exam that measures experience and
knowledge from experience.   This is why I respect this Certification very
much when it comes to Experienced Energy Modelers.

Cheers,
Pasha