[Equest-users] Translucent Glass Overhangs?

Keith Swartz kswartz at ecw.org
Tue Jan 17 14:13:47 PST 2012

Neil,

You can enter a transmittance for the shade if it is entered as a "Building Shade" or a "Fixed Shade," but not if it's entered as a "Window Shade."

In detailed edit mode, in the "Building Shell" module, right-click on "Building Shade" (or "Fixed  Shade") to create a new one. See the help screens and tutorials for an explanation of the dimensions and coordinates. The field for the transmittance is on the right side. So is visible reflectance, which can affect glare. You could also create a schedule to change the transmittance for when it might be covered with snow, leaves, or whatever. On a side note, this method using a schedule could also be used to model a deciduous tree that shades during the summer but not in the winter.

[cid:image001.png at 01CCD532.3529E180]

________________________________
Keith Swartz, P.E., LEED AP

Energy Engineer / Senior Project Manager
Energy Center of Wisconsin
455 Science Drive, Suite 200, Madison, WI 53711
Phone: 608.238.8276 x123
Fax: 608.238.0523

The Buildings Team
Design decisions through energy, economics and emissions analysis.
www.ecw.org/Buildings<http://www.ecw.org/Buildings>

Energy Center University
Your gateway to sustainable design training and online education programs.
www.ecw.org/university/<http://www.ecw.org/university/>