[Equest-users] VRF - water vs air cooled condensers

Brian Fountain bfountain at greensim.com
Fri Jul 27 06:26:52 PDT 2012

I have an eQUEST VRF model using PVVT and variable speed compressors as a
workaround.  The model had the condenser set as air cooled.  In the course
of a design meeting I learned that the VRF system was to have a water cooled
condenser loop for the condenser units.  No problem I thought and happily
changed the condenser source on my PVVT units from air-cooled to
water-cooled.  In doing so however, no heat was added to or rejected to the
WLHP loop from the units.  The only way I could have my pseudo PVVT/VRF
units interact with the condenser loop was to turn the compressor control
from "variable speed" to "single speed".  No underheated/undercooled hours
were reported, but no load was carried on the condenser loop.  Have others
had this experience?  Suggestions?