[Equest-users] Really thick concrete walls, partitions, and floor

Jeremy Poling jeremy.poling at att.net
Mon Jul 16 15:41:53 PDT 2012

I'd recommend going with Nick's suggestion of a steady-state model with
input from the design team as far as their load calculations go (assuming
you aren't also the mechanical designer).  From Section 3 Definitions in
ASHRAE 90.1-2007, both C-Factor and R-Value are defined by ASHRAE to be
steady-state values and while U-Value is not, it would be safe to assume
the intention of the standard is a steady-state model for Appendix G.
Also, EER values are defined as steady-state ratings for equipment.

Genreally, the energy modeling from Appendix G is not intended to be an
exact prediction of energy use of a building the year it opens, or a year
after.  This is explicitly stated in G1.2(2):

"Neither the proposed building performance nor the baseline building
preformance are predictions of actual energy consumption or costs for the
proposed design after construction.  Actual experience will differ from
these calculations due to variations such as occupancy, building operation
and maintenance, weather, energyuse not covered by this procedure, changes
in energy rats between the design of the building and occupacy, and the
precision of the calculation tool."

Now, I don't bring up that paragraph to dredge up long conversations of the
accuracy of energy models, but if the concern is really how to get an
accurate model out of this unique circumstance, I'd suggest citing this
paragraph directly, in additon to the references before from Section 3,
when explaining why you used a steady-state model.

The bigger curiosity for me is...what exactly are you building here? :)
Jeremy R. Poling, PE, LEED AP+BDC