[Equest-users] Unexpected Custom SHGC Results

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Sun Jul 15 15:30:14 PDT 2012

I totally agree. The suggestion that eQUEST is flawed in modeling such a basic heat transfer process as solar gain through windows is extremely unlikely. My experiences in doing such parametrics with DOE-2 over many years if not decades is not that the program  is wrong, but that it's considering many other factors often overlooked in a simplistic view of things. Chief among these are the sizing of the HVAC system, its configuration, and operations. At the bare minimum, you should make sure that you input the same system size in both runs. Furthermore, in a mild climate like San Jose, something as innocuous sounding as COOL-CONTROL=WARMEST can cause havoc in the expected savings. In all the runs I've looked at, there was always an explanation when the results  do not meet or run counter to the original expectations. In fact, I regard those as the most valuable instances for using building energy simulations.  After all, if all you want is confirmation of your back-of-the-envelope estimates, why do a simulation at all? Just do a degree-day calculation instead.

Sent from my iPhone
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies
346 Rheem Blvd Suite 108D