[Equest-users] Temperature in weather data

Ralph Muehleisen rmuehleisen at anl.gov
Fri Jul 27 13:42:45 PDT 2012

Chris, Joe, others,

The dramatic effects of simply rounding off/ceiling the temperature data in
weather files is a perfect example of why we need to, as an industry, move
from deterministic energy predictions to stochastic energy predictions.

Weather and occupancy are inherently stochastic and when we couple
that stochasticity with our uncertainty in so many of the actual building
parameters (at least uncertainty as to their what their values will be when
installed), it seems to me that far more meaningful energy predictions
could be made using stochastic methods.

While you wouldn't necessarily want to use stochastic methods during much
of the design iteration, stochastic estimation should be a standard
procedure for comparing major iterations and for final energy predictions.

For all us researchers, there is plenty of work to be done in properly
quantifying the stochasticity of weather, occupancy and other stochastic
parameters and in developing uncertainty profiles for important parameters
that are not stochastic.  There is also opportunities for industry to
develop the wrappers to take the info and create the DOE2 wrappers.

Am I alone on this or do others feel the same way?

Ralph T Muehleisen
PhD, PE, LEED AP, INCE Board Certified, FASA
Principal Building Scientist
Argonne National Lab
9700 S. Cass Ave, Bldg 221
630-252-2547, rmuehleisen at anl.gov