[Equest-users] Fwd: How to mode a conditioned space within another conditioned space

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Jun 27 12:53:36 PDT 2012

Hi Morteza,

1.       This query has come up and been answered before - remember to bookmark the mailing list archives!  There are a few approaches but I would personally leverage the wizards to define the footprint of both spaces, one inside the other.  The wizards will assume the 11' high space has the same ceiling/roof heights as the rest of the shell.  In detailed mode I would edit the volume for each space to the correct value, and would reassign the parent space of any associated roof section over the small zone to the larger zone (if applicable).  That should approximate everything thermally correctly.  To take it a step further you can modify the height/flr-to-clg properties of the smaller space to get the correct areas for transfer via the internal partitions, and also define/assign a custom internal partition construction if necessary.  Assigning a separate system for one space is achievable in wizards using the zone allocation screens, and can also be done in detailed edits.

2.       There aren't hard rules regarding what system types are appropriate for MAU's.  The correct answer(s) depend on whether and how you intend condition the makeup air, whether DCV is involved in the associated spaces, whether there is a separate system providing conditioning for the MAU spaces, and whether any heat recovery strategy is in play.  Your question really is one of defining an approach.  I advise reviewing the attached discussion from the archives to get a better idea - there are more like it discussing other approaches for specific scenarios but this gets the point across.  Once you settle on a strategy for to model the MAU, its targeted internal loads, and the outside air, selecting a system type to meet all the project-specific requirements should be pretty simple.

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER