[Equest-users] FW: Modeling cabinet/unit heaters

Jim Grady jimgrady at lightec.net
Fri Mar 2 16:14:39 PST 2012

From: Nirupama Laskminarasimhan [mailto:nirupama at lightec.net]
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2012 3:44 PM
To: equest-users at lists.onebuilding.org
Cc: Jodie Lucci; James Michael Grady
Subject: Modeling cabinet/unit heaters

I'm modeling a school building with unit heaters and cabinet heaters. There
is a central boiler serving these heaters. The rest of the school has
fin-tube radiation all along its exterior walls. I'm trying to create
thermal zones to match the interior space types (classrooms, corridors,
etc.). But for classrooms with 2 unit heaters, I'm not sure how a system
could be created-

1.      Can I create a forced air hot water heater that runs on the hot
water loop, and specify the BHP of the motor and the cfm's the fan handles?

                                          OR

2.      Baseboards with MBH capacities running on the hot water loop + w/sf
on the misc. loads to compensate for the fan electricity consumption?

If I went ahead with option 1, I would account for the systems, but I do not
understand if the heating capacity in MBH for the unit heaters comes from
the boiler? (based on the boiler's capacity)

If I went ahead with modeling unit heaters as baseboards with misc. electric
load, wouldn't I run into ventilation issues, as I'm not accounting for the
cfm's of air moved by the fans in these heaters?

Also, can someone tell me how a thermal zone on eQuest behaves? Do the walls
of the zone represent the "vertical walls" in the building interior?

Thank you.

Nirupama