[Equest-users] Adding DOAS workaround to simple (SD wizard generated) building causing hard crash

Jason Quinn jason.e.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 01:45:39 PDT 2012

I'm running a baseline case to compare to my more complicated model.
This model is completely generated in the SD wizard - now I've added a
DOAS supply per the "standard" workaround: add a dummy space, dummy
zone and system for that dummy zone Pak Var vol Var temp. Edit the inp
to put the DOAS first and then change the 4pipe FC to use the DOAS to
supply OA. This baseline case runs just fine through the loads and
then locks up my windows 7 machine - have to power-cycle it. I've
added it twice and the problem is repeatable. When I implement this
same work around in a much more complicated model it doesn't crash so
I think I've done it correctly but I'm not sure what to do at this
point. .pd2 and .inp attached - Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,
Jason

Warnings at the end of the .sim file are:

**WARNING**********************************************************************
             ZONE dummy zone
             might have insufficient heating capability.
             Check that the SYSTEM or ZONE HEATING-CAPACITY plus this
             ZONEs BASEBOARD-RATING is adequate to maintain the ZONE
             specified DESIGN-HEAT-T for the calculated peak ZONE load
             (see LS-A or LS-B for the ZONE peak load.)

             SYSTEM DOAS
             which supplies the above listed ZONE, has a design heating
             coil exit temperature, HEAT-SET-T,(plus any zone reheat)
             below its MAX-SUPPLY-T or the ZONE DESIGN-HEAT-T, which
             might account for the insufficient heating capability.

             ZONE dummy zone                       has a THERMOSTAT-TYPE
             of REVERSE-ACTION, which, when added to the issues listed
             in the messages above, will cause excessive underheating.

 **WARNING**********************************************************************
             DOAS                             defined as an OA-FROM-SYSTEM
             has OA flow requirement of    69286. CFM
             But its calculated/specified SUPPLY-FLOW is only        10. CFM
             Its SUPPLY-CFM has been reset to meet requirement, however it is
             strongly recommended you re-run with this SUPPLY-FLOW specified.

 **WARNING**********************************************************************
             DOAS                             defined as an OA-FROM-SYSTEM
             has OA flow requirement of    69286. CFM
             But its calculated/specified minimum SUPPLY-FLOW  is only
       10. CFM
             Its MIN-FLOW-RATIO has been reset to meet requirement, however it
             is strongly recommended you re-run with this
MIN-FLOW-RATIO specified.

 **WARNING**********************************************************************
             In the Southern hemisphere, the daylight savings start date
             should be later than the end date. If the latitude is taken
             from the weather file, you must manually specify the
             daylight savings interval in the SITE-PARAMETERS component.

 **CAUTION**********************************************************************
             In curve: DX-Bypass-Factor-fAirFlow        the dependent value
             is exceeding the limits.
             Value/Min/Max/First time:    1735581.875   -1000000.000
 1000000.000   1/ 1/ 1

             Energy-recovery ventilator: DOAS                             has
             frost on the exhaust outlet.  First occurrence:  1  1  4
             OA T&W:  52.0  0.0051   Return T&W: *****  0.0000

             Energy-recovery ventilator: DOAS                             has
             frost on the OA outlet.  First occurrence:  1  1  4
             OA T&W:  52.0  0.0051   Return T&W: *****  0.0000