[Equest-users] Modeling VRV System

Paul Diglio paul.diglio at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 12 07:18:52 PDT 2012

Michael:

For the past year every model I have worked on is a VRV system with ERV(s)
included to supply ventilation air.  I originally was modeling the VRV system as
a PVVT as recommended in the Energy Trust slide presentation.  I am not sure why
a PVVT system was suggested since all of the VRV fan coils I have modeled are
equipped with constant volume fan motors.

I have since switched to using an air-cooled PTAC with heat-pump heating as the
system type for the VRV system, especially in projects where the baseline system
is a PTAC.  You can specify that the PTAC has a variable speed compressor and
can plug in the custom curves that you create.  The results are what I expect,
with an 8%-10% HVAC savings over a 90.1 baseline compliant HVAC system.  The
overall building improvements range from 28.5% to 35%, depending on the other
improvements to the building, such as a better envelope and glazing.

The heat recovery savings depend on the building design.  Most of the projects I
have worked on do not have a core that requires cooling when the perimeter
spaces require heating, or vice versa, so the heat recovery savings calculated
by the exceptional method outlined in the slides, is minimal.

 Paul Diglio, CEM, CBCP

87 Fairmont Avenue
New Haven, CT  06513
203-415-0082