[Equest-users] eQuest - Campus Steam

Fred Betz fbetz at aeieng.com
Wed Mar 14 15:14:29 PDT 2012

Jim,

Remove the boilers, and apply a steam meter to the heating hot water loop under the  “plant” tab just like you would add any other piece of equipment.

The use of district energy does not necessarily limit the amount of points you can get, but district energy does add some caveats within LEED. Per Table 1 of “Treatment of District of Campus Thermal Energy in LEED v2 and LEED 2009 – Design and Construction” issued August 13, 2010; Option 1 limits you to 10 points for New Construction or Option 2 does not limit your maximum point score beyond the credit maximum.

Option 2 requires that you model the central plant, which can be very challenging if insufficient information is available. Also, Option 2 comes with a 6 point minimum per Table 1. In other words, your building has to achieve at least 6 points with your building and your plant to use Option 2. If it doesn’t achieve 6 points, you need to use Option 1.

Hope that makes sense.

Fred

Fred Betz  PhD., LEED AP
Sustainable Systems Analyst

AEI | AFFILIATED ENGINEERS, INC.
5802 Research Park Blvd. | Madison, WI  53719

P: 608.236.1175 | F: 608.238.2614
fbetz at aeieng.com<mailto:fbetz at aeieng.com>  |  www.aeieng.com<http://www.aeieng.com/>