[Equest-users] ASHRAE 90.1 system type question

Jenny Zhang jenny.zhang at arup.com
Thu Mar 15 20:23:56 PDT 2012

Hi Joey, according to ASHRAE 90.1-2007  and before if the proposed system is ventilation with heat, the baseline system should be with cooling and selected by Table G3.1.1A. And the virtual cooling system should be created in proposed model (identical to system modeled in baseline).

You could see that it is not reasonable to assume virtual cooling system in both proposed model and baseline, since cooling demand is not in actual building performance. In the New ASHRAE 90.1-2010 the terms about this issue has been changed.
G3.1.1 Baseline HVAC system Type and Description
Exceptions:
[cid:image004.png at 01CD0367.454F6B80]

And in Type G3.1 Modeling requirements for Calculation Proposed and Baseline Building Performance
[cid:image005.png at 01CD0367.454F6B80]

If you are doing LEED modeling I think you could using the updated method.

best regards
Jie Zhang