[Equest-users] Modeling interstitial spaces

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Thu Mar 29 06:53:14 PDT 2012

David,

Your sketch shows that the interstitial spaces contain uninsulated return ductwork. Without knowing more about the design, I’d be tempted to model the interstitial spaces as unconditioned plenums. This is easy to do in eQUEST. The spaces would not be counted as conditioned floor area in the DOE-2 reports and I don’t see any LEED concerns. Check the definitions in ASHRAE 90.1 for space, conditioned space, semiheated space and unconditioned space, and reference Table 3.1, to confirm that the interstitial spaces meet the definition of unconditioned. LEED reviewers are familiar with these definitions and will refer to them if they question your modeling assumptions for the interstitial spaces.

Best regards,
Bill