[Equest-users] Modeling interstitial spaces

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Mar 29 07:42:22 PDT 2012

Hi Dave,

Ultimately your model will require extra explanation if you don’t come into the same ballpark as the area numbers derived from others’ credit templates - you can make the areas add up correctly in a number of ways, but you may have to decide how you’re handling your interstitial floors first/separately.

If you feel you can make the case that heat transfer to/from these floors and to/from the uninsulated return air paths is not consequential, then your simplest approach probably is to simply not define those floors during wizards and manually specify interstitial lighting and other internal loads/scheduling directly to your electric meter.  I would plan on presenting a screenshot of those meter inputs as part of your documentation with a brief explanation of what they represent and how they were determined.

If on the other hand you are concerned about some of those heat transfers being significant enough to bother modeling (I probably would be with uninsulated ducts), model the floors as unconditioned space types (without plenums if appropriate), then once in detailed mode:

1.       Ensure the floors/ceilings separating your conditioned floors are thermally tied to the interstitial floors with internal partitions of an appropriate construction type – you’ll probably need to define something unique for these floor partitions.

2.       Check/define exterior surfaces/constructions and internals for these zones (lighting/equipment/people/infiltration) – you don’t want to define at meter if you intend to model heat transfers.

3.       Go to airside systems tab: For the systems pulling air through these spaces as part of the return air path,

a.       make sure you’ve chosen ‘ducted’ return,

b.      enter something for duct air loss ratio (can be zero)

c.       this allows you to define a zone from which the return air ducts will transfer heat to/from – choose the appropriate interstitial zone, and fill in the remaining heat transfer inputs.

I can’t tell you from experience whether a LEED reviewer will make you model those floors as unconditioned spaces after the fact if you choose not to, but based on my general sense of the LEED review process the degree of rigor seems to scale up when pursuing larger numbers of points.  I have never personally seen duct losses come up in review commentary.

It might be worth investigating whether there is any precedent or requirement to NOT model duct return leakage/losses in the way 90.1 says piping losses are explicitly NOT to be modeled.  It might simplify your situation considering the potential challenges of applying these heat transfers to your baseline model in a fair fashion.

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER