[Equest-users] CAD draws handling

tiejun hu hutiejun1223 at 126.com
Tue May 1 08:05:54 PDT 2012

Thanks Nick and Bruce,all of your advices are very practical at present. and I just want to know whether exist a software as a plug-in of CAD can automatically transform the drawings to that we can import into CAD directly, and the proccess only need a few minutes. what's more. the effects of this drawings is same as the methods you mentioned.

在 2012-05-01 22:48:52,"Nick Caton" <ncaton at smithboucher.com> 写道:

Hi Tiejun,

CAD is an entirely separate skillset –if you haven’t touched it before I can see it being daunting.

I also typically define my simplified zone layout in CAD prior to importing to eQuest.

Here is a brief list of keystrokes to write down specific to tracing out simple outlines for eQuest.  Play with these until their function/purpose is intuitive:

L – LINE

REC – RECTANGLE

TR – TRIM

EX  - EXTEND

CHA – CHAMFER (extends two lines to the point they’d intersect if extended – combines a multistep process into one)

OSNAP – lets you choose what to snap to, or not (your preference...  I personally select everything.)

F3 – toggles those chosen snap settings on/off in one keypress

F8 - toggles ortho mode – note snapped points will override

LAYISO – select one or more things before/after this command to “lock” all other layers – handy to ensure your work is isolated to the layer(s) you want to work on

LAYUNISO – undoes the previous locking

One thing I didn’t realize early on is that the eQuest interface does let you isolate layers while defining zones – so an extensive amount of CAD file cleanup isn’t necessary provided you do your zone tracing on a fresh layer, as Bruce is saying.  I also agree and emphasize to not get too hung up on “where in your walls” you draw your partition lines – “exactly right” for internal partitions is normally in the dimensional center, but this is normally not critical.  The general rule for exterior walls is to follow the outermost surface.

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers