[Equest-users] weather processor trouble

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Fri May 11 16:49:14 PDT 2012

Xavier,

It looks like the eQUEST converter is finding a numerical problem in the EPW version of
the SWEC Barcelona weather file.
According to the documentation, the SWEC weather files were originally developed in DOE-2
*.BIN format, so perhaps
you could contact the developer listed and see if you can get a copy of the *.BIN weather
file.

I all read from the documentation that the SWEC weather files were generated from monthly
statistics, and has constant
wind speeds for all hours.  Therefore, you should evaluate whether the use of these data
is appropriate for your needs.
For example, you should not use the SWEC weather files to study natural ventilation !

There are both IWEC and IWEC2 weather files for Barcelonia, developed by ASHRAE.   The
IWEC version is available on
the EnergyPlus Weather web site, so you could also try converting that file instead to
*.BIN.   The IWEC2 weather files
are currently available only on a DVD from ASHRAE and contains weather files for 3,012
stations.  See www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/detail?product_id=1823067 for details.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.