[Equest-users] Building area method ASHRAE 90.1

Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr. poleary1969 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:48:49 PDT 2012

as long as a lighting system has been designed:

according to ashrae/appendix g the uniform/whole building method applies
a uniform lpd to the BASELINE building only while the PROPOSED uses what
is designed - so long as the design is based on the whole building area
method.  the lpd of the PROPOSED design should not be applied uniformly
to the PROPOSED building simulation.

see appendix g, table g3.1, section 6 lighting, subsection b, page 173
(2004), page 179 (2007).  user's manual pages g-17/18 (2004 & 2007)

i would suggest to quote table g3.1 when replying to the reviewer's
comment.  i have had reviewer's tell me i have to use the space-by-space
method in a simulation for both proposed and baseline buildings.  this
is not correct.  what is correct is that the simulation reflect the
methodology used by the lighting designer.  if the lighting design is
based on the whole building method then the whole building method
maximum lpd is used in the BASELINE building.  if the design is based on
the space-by-space method then the space-by-space maximum lpd for each
space type is used in the BASELINE building.  in either case the
PROPOSED building should reflect what is designed.  by 'what is
designed' i mean look at the lighting plans, lighting schedules, and
enter the lpd for each space/zone (thermal block) based on the number of
fixtures, watts per fixture, and square feet of space.