[Equest-users] Simplified Modeling

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu May 24 09:22:09 PDT 2012

Hi Matt,

First a suggestion to avoid steering the discussion into confusion: when I say "zone" or "space" I'm consciously speaking in eQuest/DOE2 terms.

For each terminal unit, I most commonly define a single space whose boundaries represent the net interior area the terminal unit serves.  Each zone may represent multiple rooms.  It's conceivable for large models this approach can become cumbersome, but for clarity this is not defining a space for each room.  For any size project I would start with this typical approach and consider simplification strategies from there as necessary.

There's a natural emphasis we modelers place on accuracy, but keep in mind LEED & 90.1 recognize and permit you, the modeler, a lot of leeway to build simplification strategies of your choosing into the model.  For a large school, perhaps you can delete all but one of a block of similar classrooms and assign a multiplier to the remaining space/zone.  90.1 and the 90.1 User's Manual include further simplification guidance (as well as the mailing list archives).  All that said, bigger projects ultimately result in bigger models with lots of inputs - additional time investment is to be expected.

A lot of things might have gone wrong with your 'quick comparison...'  Hard to do more than speculate, but if you didn't carefully consider system quantities to ensure a level playing field along the way that would be a place to start.

Hope some of this helps!

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.