[Equest-users] 90.1 App G Fan Power and EER Calculations

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue May 29 08:50:40 PDT 2012

Steve,

There are two schools of thought for dealing with fan power in cooling efficiency calcs.  The first pulls away the baseline fan power Pfan, as you're describing, and the other instead pulls out a fan energy draw based on ARI testing procedures...  400 CFM/ton --> 365W/1000CFM.  I follow the latter these days, but see both as viable.

The two approaches result in similar results when your Pfan calculation doesn't involve a lot of static pressure adders.  When it does, the approaches diverge in a fashion that may be either problematic or helpful in a LEED rating sense.  Attached discussion sums up things further, includes an outline of an ARI-based approach. You can find more discussions and read into advantages/disadvantages to both approaches in the mailing list archives.

That said, I haven't checked your math or references but the procedure you've roughly outlined sounds alright for a Pfan approach.  There are steps in between what you've written for correctly coming up with Pfan, but I take it that's implicit.

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER