[Equest-users] Using formulas in Equest Parent/Child relationships Outside Air

Joshua W. Chapman chapmanjw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 20:05:10 PDT 2013

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to create DOE 2.2 formulas to have Equest calculate
outside air accordingly?  I am typically modeling multi-family projects.  As
such my models all have MANY single zone split systems (over 400).  Per
ASHRAE 62.1, Outside Air = OA-FLOW/PER * NUMBER-OF-PEOPLE + OA-FLOW/AREA *
AREA.  However equest only uses the larger of OA-FLOW/PER * NUMBER-OF-PEOPLE
or OA-FLOW/AREA * AREA.  I have tried to create a formula and input it into
the field OUTSIDE-AIR-FLOW but I am not very familiar with DOE 2.2 syntax.

AREA is a SPACE property.  NUMBER-OF-PEOPLE is a SPACE property.
OUTSIDE-AIR-FLOW, OA-FLOW/PER and OA-FLOW/AREA are all ZONE properties.

How would I write a ZONE formula for OUTSIDE-AIR-FLOW that calls the
corresponding SPACE values for AREA and NUMBER-OF-PEOPLE?  I am sure it has
to do with Parent/Child relationships in Equest/DOE 2.2.  Is the Space the
parent or child of the zone?  Is the space a parent or child of the polygon?

= #L("OA-FLOW/PER")* ?? + #L("OA-FLOW/AREA")*??

Please help.

Joshua W. Chapman PE, LEED AP
Scot Engineering Inc.