[Equest-users] Fwd: Doubt on Appendix G- Section G3.1.1

vamshi ranga vamshiranga at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 21:18:07 PDT 2013

Hi All,

Section G3.1.1 (b), says,

If the baseline HVAC system type is 5, 6, 7, or 8, use separate single-zone
systems conforming with the requirements of System 3 or System 4 (depending
on building heating source) for any spaces that have occupancy or process
loads or schedules that differ significantly from the rest of the building.
*Peak thermal loads that differ by 10 Btu/h⋅ft2 or more* from the
*average*of other
*spaces served by the system or schedules that differ by more than 40
equivalent full load hours per week* from other spaces served by the system
are considered to differ significantly. Examples where this exception may
be applicable include, but are not limited to, computer server rooms,
natatoriums, and continually occupied security areas.
*
*
1. Is the term "Peak thermal loads" referring to loads caused by envelope,
occupancy, lighting  infiltration and equipment only? or it also includes
loads caused by "fresh air" also?
2. Is "Thermal loads" referring to Cooling load or Heating load or Sum of
both coooling and heating?
3. What does "40 equivalent full load hours" means? For example, I have one
room whose schedules are 24hrs and 100% occup, light, equip at the same
time I have other rooms, which are 24hrs and 50% occup, light, equip etc.
So, I think, 24hrs with 100% should be modeled with System 3(my heating
source is boiler). Correct me, if I am wrong

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thank you,
Vamshi.