[Equest-users] Big Baseline Boilers - COMBUSTION efficiencies!?

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Apr 29 08:55:13 PDT 2013

Mike - thanks a bunch for your response!

I can appreciate and relate to your experience with the boiler industry marketing folks... it's very easy to get the run-around, and is often difficult/impossible to get information needed for modeling from product literature.  I've come to the same conclusion as you advised, and here's my accounting/reasoning for those interested:

The footnote in 90.1 Table 6.8.1-F defines combustion efficiency as "100% less flue losses," so I that was the basis of this query.  There's additionally reference to this procedure: 10 CFR part 431<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title10/10cfr431_main_02.tpl>

That procedure defines combustion and thermal efficiency as follows<http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=bceba9fa026032bc4b393f9c462988bf&rgn=div8&view=text&node=10:3.0.1.4.19.5.54.2&idno=10>:
Combustion efficiency for a commercial packaged boiler is determined using test procedures prescribed under § 431.86 and is equal to 100 percent minus percent flue loss (percent flue loss is based on input fuel energy)

Thermal efficiency for a commercial packaged boiler is determined using test procedures prescribed under § 431.86 and is the ratio of the heat absorbed by the water or the water and steam to the higher heating value in the fuel burned.

Clearly they're not quite the same thing, where combustion efficiency does not account for jacket/standby/other losses affecting net output.

I haven't seen numbers to verify this, but perhaps ultimately jacket losses are such a small fraction (at these largest capacities) that it's accepted to be irrelevant.  Put another way, the actual values for Et and Ec for boilers larger than 2.5MBtuh/h just aren't very different.

Running with that assumption, and unless anyone can answer further to this, I'll treat baseline thermal and combustion efficiencies identically moving forward for large boilers:  HIR = 1/Ec = 1/Et.  If nothing else, it's a "safe/conservative" approach for LEED, in the sense that if there is an error of procedure here it is only artificially helping the baseline and would in turn prove a beneficial correction for the performance rating down the road.

Thanks again!

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.