[Equest-users] LEED Issue with EQuest Software's Ability to ModelBoilers on Ground Loops

David Reddy david at 360-analytics.com
Thu Aug 15 12:17:04 PDT 2013

How confident are you that the GSHX is actually large enough to meet all
of the annual heating loads?  Depending on the building type, size, and
climate, seems like it is reasonable for the reviewer to be skeptical.
I've worked on a LEED-Nc v2.2  commercial building project where I
arrived at the same conclusion, but it took a lot of extra work to
convince myself that the GSHX model inputs, loop/equipment controls, and
overall outputs (including hourly results) were all reasonable (LEED
reviewer didn't seem to have an issue with it in this case).  Have you
tried clearly illustrating/justifying the inputs for the DOE-2 GSHX
model?  There are other programs available that you can input loads and
GSHX performance parameters, and it will tell you what the average loop
temperatures are over time.  I typically use these for
comparison/validation of the DOE-2 model results.   Perhaps providing a
secondary analysis of the GSHX would support (or potentially rebuke)
your conclusion?

-David