[Equest-users] Ductless Split

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Dec 2 08:03:13 PST 2013

Hi Nikki,

You can get started defining a direct return split heat pump system as follows via DD wizards:
[cid:image001.png at 01CEEF42.3693F7F0]

I'll caution first that eQuest cannot specify non-rectilinear windows, so you'll want to define rectangular windows of equivalent area as those occur.  That said, to accurately handle the roof geometries you're showing will require some degree of detailed mode (post wizard) edits.  There are many ways to approach this, but I would probably set up a single shell of a height to match the lower roof.  In defining custom zones, I'd be mindful to ensure the higher elevation roof sections are provided distinct zones so that I will be able to easily "raise the roof" in detailed mode by editing the space height properties for the corresponding areas.  Air wall partitions can thermally account up for walls created in this way that don't really exist.

To get the tilted roof sections done, you'd need to first delete/edit the polygon(s) for the remaining roof sections so that they only extend to the point I'm indicated below.  Then you'd create one new roof section and polygon to include a tilt of what looks like approximately 45 degrees.  I'd use the 3D model you're currently sharing to first determine the properties of that rectangle, to save some guesswork (width/length/tilt).  After defining the new roof section, play with its X/Y/Z coordinate and azimuth properties as required, using the 3D view as a reference) to ensure it lines up correctly in the model.  If it ends up partially or wholly within the building it will simulate without errors but will be incorrectly "shaded" by the surrounding surfaces.
[cid:image002.png at 01CEEF42.3693F7F0]

All that said, I expect it would be reasonable to more simply approximate this roof as two flat sections, particularly if it's a well-insulated roof assembly (making the precise area/orientation less critical, relatively speaking).  That would trim my instructions down to simply editing the appropriate space height properties in detailed mode.

Hope that helps get you started!  There are additional visual guides for polygon and exterior surface edits available in the mailing list archives and elsewhere on the web if you are interested in further reading on the topic.

Best regards,

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.