[Equest-users] Ice Bear ICE TES for DX HVAC Equipment

Busman, Michael R MBusman at chevron.com
Wed Jan 30 12:49:31 PST 2013

I was curious to know if anyone has modeled the Ice Bear system and if so, is there a "reasonably easy" way to create the model?

Attached is some information on the product when used with "Ice Ready" package units for those not familiar with the equipment.  It can also be used with split systems and fan coil units.

I could always model it in Excel using hourly reports that include outdoor air temperature and cooling load.  Using performance data of EER or kW versus outdoor air temperature, I could easily curve fit the data for the package unit when operating and the Ice Bear when recharging in ice building mode.  The spreadsheet would also need to track ton-hours provided from storage, remaining storage, ton-hours recharged, hours to recharge, etc.  That's the easy part.

What I see as taking longer is to set up the logic to handle the multitude of electric rates, seasons, TOU periods, switches to optimize savings (such as operate TES summer only or during winter months if there is no TOU demand charge but there is a significant facilities related demand charge).  Doable......just takes time.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mike Busman

Michael R. Busman, CEM
Lead Project Engineer II

Chevron Energy Solutions
A Division of Chevron U.S.A., Inc.
145 S. State College Blvd.
Brea, CA  92821
Direct  714-671-3561
Fax     714-671-3438
eFax   866-420-0335 (Include my Full Name followed by "CAI:MHTZ" on Cover Sheet)
Mobile 310-387-2083
mbusman at chevron.com<mailto:mbusman at chevron.com>