[Equest-users] eQuest vs. Design Builder

Neil Bulger nbulger at integralgroup.com
Thu Jan 10 10:29:02 PST 2013

I use DesignBuilder and eQuest and would say they are both great tools. I
would stick with eQuest for day-to-day work and try DesignBuilder on
projects that can afford a model in both tools. All modeling tools come
with a number of things to watch out for in their defaults assumptions and
in how they interpret inputs. If you are feeling very comfortable with the
detailed mode of eQuest and have spent time editing inp files directly and
creating custom-expressions or user-default expressions, I would recommend
trying DesignBuilder. If not, I would recommend staying in eQuest for a
while. There is a great presentation by Reid Hart from April 2011 titled
"eQuest - a half hour to learn; three years to master" which could not be
more true. eQuest has alot... alot! of potential for quick simple energy
models.

Regards,

Neil
--