[Equest-users] Adjacent Shells

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Wed Jan 23 11:59:29 PST 2013

Jeremy,

Well, every one of those extraneous exterior walls (and roofs) is going to be simulated as envelope loads on those spaces. The model doesn't know that they aren't actually exposed to the outdoors. I would certainly delete them for any model, calibrated or otherwise, if it were me. You could determine the impact, relatively quickly, by modifying the U-factor of your wall construction based on the ratio of modeled exterior wall area to actual exterior wall area. Get your modeled wall area from the last page of the LV-D report, and divide by the actual wall area of the existing building. Divide the wall construction U-factor by the modeled-to-actual wall ratio, and modify the wall construction accordingly. Simulate and see how much the energy is reduced. Okay, never mind that sounds like too much work. Just delete the walls.

If you're in that much of a hurry, don't replace the exterior walls with interior walls. Just delete the exterior surfaces and be done with it. I usually add the interior walls, especially if the adjacent spaces have different thermostat setpoints or different internal loads. These edits can be pretty quick when you modify the 3-D view to more easily see where the extra surfaces are:

[cid:image002.jpg at 01CDF97A.3E198A80]

Regards,
Bill

[Senior Energy Engineer 28Jun2012]<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>