[Equest-users] Adjacent Shells

Jeremy Poling jeremy.poling at att.net
Wed Jan 23 15:20:40 PST 2013

Thanks Bill and Vikram - with most buildings this would be an easy
solution, but with this particular building the problem involves hundreds
of these exterior surfaces.  Unfortunately, the changes in building
geometry are not minor enough to simplify - bump outs exceeding 20 feet,
changes in direction and angle of the building, etc.  I should have noted
that the 4M+ SF is spread across 4 floors...

I'll take a look at it once the architecture is finally complete in the
model.  I'll have to do it as best as possible in the 3D view since without
a pan feature I can't get close enough to the tails of the building to
visualize the sections that are exterior.

If anyone does have an idea on what percentage of the load these phantom
skin loads can add up to in more typical cases, that would be helpful:
following ASHRAE 14 there's room for some small percentage error
adjustments due to things like this.  To put it a little differently, we're
recommending the owner finish changing the last few incandescents to
alternate sources (depending on application, LED or CFL) but the threshold
for showing up as a percentage of energy use in the building is so high all
of the incandescent sources remaining wouldn't show up on the simplified
results in eQuest. :)  Fun "little" project, yes?
Jeremy R. Poling, PE, LEED AP+BDC