[Equest-users] Beginner Question on Fan schedule

Busman, Michael R MBusman at chevron.com
Mon Jan 28 06:43:18 PST 2013

Reduced outdoor ventilation air would have been my first guess.  I've seen a lot of portable classroom buildings that have a wall-mounted heat pump.  Unless they're on a DDC system, they usually come equipped with either a programmable or just a plain vanilla wall thermostat, that's typically set to Auto (intermittent) instead of Fan On (continuous).  Same thing for regular classrooms with a roof top package unit.  Modeling the two different fan modes can show a significant different in heating consumption

Once the classrooms are up to temperature, there often isn't a lot of heat load as the result of internal lighting and occupant heat gains.  On a similar note, where the fan is set to Auto/intermittent, I often measure CO2 levels over 3000 ppm, where a good target is 750-800 and the ASHRAE max limit is 1000 ppm.  Not the best indoor air quality to promote the learning environment for the kids.

Mike

Michael R. Busman, CEM
Lead Project Engineer II

Chevron Energy Solutions
A Division of Chevron U.S.A., Inc.
145 S. State College Blvd.
Brea, CA  92821
Direct  714-671-3561
Fax     714-671-3438
eFax   866-420-0335 (Include my Full Name followed by "CAI:MHTZ" on Cover Sheet)
Mobile 310-387-2083
mbusman at chevron.com<mailto:mbusman at chevron.com>