[Equest-users] Aparments on eQuest.

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Jul 22 10:33:40 PDT 2013

Look hard at the plans to build an understand of exactly how many unique apartment/floor configurations there are.  Consider the "same" configuration with different exterior exposures unique (i.e an apartment "C" with a single North wall is different than the same one with a South wall or one with two exposures).

>From there, you'll be able to determine how far you can go with zone/floor/system multipliers before you are making compromises in accuracy.  The degree of acceptable accuracy compromise for the sake of a simpler model is ultimately yours to make.

In my experience, floor/zone/system multipliers can sometimes result in more effort than time saved for models requiring detailed documentation (i.e. LEED), as there are extra efforts required at the end to document/explain the cumulative capacities and characteristics of multiplied systems.  For such models I tend to only leverage multipliers where I have concerns regarding overall model size.

A 13 story building could easily fall within that area of concern, for what it's worth ;).

Regards,

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.