[Equest-users] "Input summary" for LEED template

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Jun 4 14:08:32 PDT 2013

Hi friends,

I personally think the EAp2 template is in some serious need of re-wording in its present state... notice how the specific reports they request for eQuest/DOE-2 are all... "output" reports?  Little to do with inputs!

Here's how I see things right now:  Since the advent of the EAp2 excel spreadsheet (Section 1.4), I have taken to documenting everything regarding "inputs" primarily between that document and secondarily via items I will cite directly from the spreadsheet, which may include any combination of narrative discussions, screenshots, calculations (including baseline system calculations, separate LPD takeoffs if fairly complex), and so forth as I feel appropriate.  I never upload only the Section 1.4 spreadsheet in its upload area, as a series of referenced items will be uploaded alongside it.

Towards the end, where they request an upload of select "output" reports for eQuest/DOE2, I will assemble a (usually larger) selection of simulation reports for both models, again appropriate to the project at hand.  They specifically mention "input summary" here, but I personally view that language as a relic of the pre-1.4-spreadsheet days.  I consider the section 1.4 spreadsheet and any documents uploaded alongside it to collectively function as my "input summary."  In turn I use the final reports upload section to be sure I adequately cover the output/results of the models.  These reports always include what they prescribe, but will also usually include my meter enduse reports, and SVA/SVB/PVA/submetering reports as applicable to the project.  What I'll include for a given project is largely influenced by past LEED review commentary I've dealt with, and I'll also usually take a step back and consider whether anything unique to a given project merits additional "output" verification.

Just to avoid headaches though, I recently re-uploaded a duplicate second copy of everything "input" at the end as well ("Input Summary.zip").  Not sure if that just makes some reviewer's life trickier or what...?

That's where I'm at today anyway... very different from years ago!  If one thing's for sure, LEED will probably continue to cause us to re-adapt our documentation/workflow in years to come!

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER