[Equest-users] Exhaust Fans

Simge Andolsun simgeandolsun at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 07:52:37 PST 2013

Dear eQuest users,

I am trying to model a lab building in compliance with ASHRAE 90.1 to
compare it with an as built model that represents the real case as
described in Appendix G. The actual building (the as built model) has a few
zones which have exhaust air flow rate higher than supply air flow rate as
per the building schedules. I unfortunately do not have any information
regarding the operation schedule of the exhaust fans. When I model the
exhaust air flow rates of these zones to be always lower than the zone
supply air flow rate, then the actual building is not represented closely
enough. When I increase the zone supply air flow rate such that it is
always equal to the actual exhaust air flow rate, then the zone air flow
rate is assumed to be higher than it actually is increasing the overall
energy consumption of the building. eQuest does not allow for the exhaust
air flow rate of a zone to be higher than the supply air flow rate which
would result in high unmet hours in the zone. In order to make a reasonable
comparison between the baseline and the as built models as per Appendix G,
how do you think I should represent the exhaust fans in these two models?
and why? Would you also explain the settings I should use in eQuest to
model the case you are suggesting? I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you very much,
Best Regards,
S.Andolsun, PhD