[Equest-users] Slab extending through wall

Kapil Upadhyaya KapilU at kirksey.com
Tue Nov 5 13:52:30 PST 2013

Nathan,
In the Balcony calculation, are you accounting for both the 'edges' and 'exposed area' of the balcony ?
In my opinion, a concrete balcony should be accounted for as a heat exchanger with 3 surfaces (perimeter edges, upper surface, lower surface); it looks like you are only accounting for the edges.

I had a 'heated' discussion about this with a vendor recently and the above is more or less a conclusion of that. Some of the structural thermal break products can be too expensive to justify based on energy savings, if area of balconies is not accounted for; the bigger your balcony, the better your payback from thermal breaks.

Best,

Kapil Upadhyaya, LEED AP
Associate
Kirksey | Architecture