[Equest-users] Exhaust Fans

Keith Swartz kswartz at ecw.org
Wed Nov 13 07:10:00 PST 2013

Simge,

One idea is to take the exhaust air flow from two separate spaces-take as much as you can out of the space that actually has the exhaust, and take the rest of the exhaust air from a space that the air is probably being transferred from. Enter the fan energy for each exhaust fan so that the total matches what you need. Splitting (or lumping) equipment like this works fine as long as the part-load performance is proportional. If the part-load performance curve is non-linear, then there is some error from splitting/lumping.

eQUEST does not handle air transfers from one room to another as well as some other programs. If the transfer air is at room temperature, then you might not need to model transferring the air. For example, in motels air is often supplied to the corridors and is transferred under the doors at room temperature and exhausted out of the restrooms. You could simplify the model by taking the restroom exhaust from the corridors instead of the restrooms. This approximation breaks down if the transfer air is not at room temperature and the temperature difference is needed to handle a load in the room. Keep in mind that we are trying to model the energy use of the building, not model every detail of the building.

Sincerely,
Keith Swartz, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
Senior Energy Engineer | Energy Center of Wisconsin | Madison.Chicago.Minneapolis
608.210.7123 | www.ecw.org<http://www.ecw.org/>