[Equest-users] natural ventilation scenario and LEED

Maria Karpman maria.karpman at karpmanconsulting.net
Fri Nov 22 12:28:57 PST 2013

I would contact USGBC or search CIRs to establish rules that apply to the project. From 90.1 perspective, Appendix G shouldn’t be used: “…G1.1 Performance Rating Method Scope. ….this appendix is provided for those wishing to use the methodology developed for this standard to quantify performance that substantially exceeds the requirements of Standard 90.1. It may be useful for evaluating the performance of all proposed designs, including alterations and additions to existing buildings, except designs with no mechanical systems.“ That said, I would be surprised if this disqualifies the project from getting LEED certification. If there are no conditioned spaces and all you have is lighting and some process loads, you should be able to calculate savings in a simple spreadsheet since there are no interacting systems. If USGBC asks you to model it (I really can’t think of a reason why though…), you’d model it as unconditioned in both the baseline and proposed designs, so it wouldn’t matter whether the windows are operable or not. Please keep us posted about how this is resolved. I am curious what LEED policies are for such projects.

Maria