[Equest-users] HHW reset controls in eQuest

Busman, Michael R MBusman at chevron.com
Tue Sep 17 13:28:40 PDT 2013

Dominique,

Let me preface by saying that for years I've joked that the San Diego climate is so benign you could remove the walls and roof (or at least their insulating values) and it won't affect loads much.

I only had time to look at a few things quickly, which might explain some of your questions.  I've noticed in the past that using the EEM wizard inserts some default values that you might not be aware of.  For example, on air-cooled DX equipment if you specify an evaporative pre-cooler before the condenser, pumping power gets inserted.  If you have a pre-cooler with no pump that operates on building supply pressure, you have to go into detailed edit mode to zero out the pump power.  In the DD wizard you can also see some of the default values on the air-side or water side tabs and clicking on a component.

Anyway, your gas goes up a little in the economizer run.  The baseline for system #1 shows 0% outside air in the DD Wizard Project Navigator.  Without looking at hourly zone loads, it's possible the system is trying to satisfy the cooling of a zone with O.A. and causing some additional heating in other zones.

In the HHW variable flow run, electric only goes down 1% and gas goes up 5%.  If you click on the waterside tab of the DD Wizard screen, you'll see you have an atmospheric boiler located outdoors.  In this instance, this might not make much difference, but this boiler type and location could have higher standby losses.  If you click the airside tab, you'll see that you have 3-way hot water valves.  A 3-way valve system design is going to be virtually constant volume all the time.  Looking at the PS-E end use energy report shows that the reduction in electric is from pumping.  Not a lot of kWh, but this will result in less pump heat added to the HHW and the amount of increased gas is within reason if you convert the kWh to therms (about 127 therms of heat, not gas). Not all of the electric is going to end up as pump heat gain. If the motor is air-cooled, that drops the difference between the 127 therms of heat and 72 therms of increased gas, so the increase is within reason.

The 5 kWh in electric for the HHW supply temp reset run may be the result of a few hours that the VFDs have to speed up to satisfy zone temps.  It's so small to be insignificant.  No difference in gas consumption is hard to comment on without studying the input file or consulting the DOE-2 manuals.  You might want to do this to see what calculation algorithms are used, how much piping is assigned and how it is assigned, what pipe insulating values, or if the program defaults to the piping being located in conditioned or unconditioned space.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but I don't have the time today to explore this deeper.  For shakes and giggles, you might try changing the weather file to someplace like Chicago and see what kind of results you get.

My best,

Mike Busman

Michael R. Busman, CEM
Lead Project Engineer II

Chevron Energy Solutions
A Division of Chevron U.S.A., Inc.
145 S. State College Blvd.
Brea, CA  92821
Direct  714-671-3561
Fax     714-671-3438
eFax   866-420-0335 (Include my Full Name followed by "CAI:MHTZ" on Cover Sheet)
Mobile 310-387-2083
mbusman at chevron.com<mailto:mbusman at chevron.com>