[Equest-users] PERFORM-DATA-AC Error

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Tue Dec 9 16:50:58 PST 2014

As it stands, I think you have 2 paths forward:

1.       Per Yongqing Zhao’s suggestion, proceed in eQuest 3.64 (I would
move the inp file only to a new directory and open that inp from within the
eQuest interface).  You may need to first delete then redefine building
shades as he is suggesting… I haven’t performed enough “rollback”
conversions to be certain.  A test run first with shades deleted should
confirm no other errors are produced.  It would probably be a good idea to
“roll back” your baseline model as well to the same eQuest version, to
avoid any unintended differences in the simulation.

2.       To stick with 3.65, your next task is to determine and remedy the
source of the interface’s instability.  Hopefully someone more intimate
with this error can chime in, because from here I’m shooting in the dark!

a.       Considering your baseline is working and stable, look carefully to
review the differences thus far between the models.  Are they indeed of
comparable complexity, or is the proposed INP magnitudes larger, for
example?

b.      If that does not prove fruitful, you might try iteratively and
systematically replacing elements of the proposed model with the baseline
equivalent, as they differ, until the model returns to a stable state.
This “process of elimination” may ultimately direct  you to the source of
your woes within the proposed model, from which you could update us on the
lists and colleagues could offer you more directed suggestions/workarounds.

c.       If you are still in the dark, using some “dummy” throwaway copies
of your project, I might experiment with some radical simplifications like
assigning all zones to a single system (removing the others), deleting all
inputs of a specific type (such as building shades), or removing all but
one of each unique component in the hydronic screen (tie all systems to one
chw loop with one chiller, etc)… purpose here being to simply explore
whether your errors are sourcing from any specific category or interaction
of component types.

If it were me, I’d fight the 3.65 fight a little longer, but keep mindful
if it takes too long it may be best to just roll back to 3.64.  Time
allowing, you might try reaching out to some of the developers directly,
providing them both sets of models for review/scrutiny.  You may have
stumbled into a new bug.

Regards,

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*