[Equest-users] Why Water Source Heat Pump is not considered as Renewable Energy in LEED rating system?

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Tue Dec 30 14:40:47 PST 2014

IIRC,  the "intent" language for LEED's on-site renewable energy credit
speaks specifically to rewarding/incentivising the generation of energy
using sources other than fossil fuels (my own paraphrasing).

Any medium of heat transfer (air, ground, evaporation...) can be coined
"free,” but if the associated systems (however efficient) are ultimately
largely powered by traditional fossil fuel sources / existing electric grid
distribution, then the energy savings associated will be isolated to EAc1
credits.

Something like an extreme geothermal system drawing core heat from the
earth would clearly pass that litmus test, as it could be directly reducing
the net energy drawn from traditional, fossil fuel powered, energy
infrastructure.

~Nick