[Equest-users] Water side economizer

Nicholas Caton ncaton at catonenergy.com
Wed Dec 31 11:46:25 PST 2014

Hi Nikola, good to hear from you!

An approach I like to start with (sometimes this is a rough approximation,
other times it is very accurate & appropriate), is:

1.       Establish an outside temperature at and below which the waterside
economizer is designed to handle the building’s cooling loads (or largely
so)

2.       Create a “free cooling” chiller with an EIR a hair above zero
(something like 0.0000001), attach it to the CHW loop(s) servicing your
coils, alongside the regular chiller(s)

3.       Create a pair of equipment control sequences:  “Free” and “Normal”

a.       For the “Free” control sequence, assign the “free cooling chiller”
in the first row to handle loads first. You may optionally also assign the
actual chillers and associated capacity ranges for each.

b.      For the “Normal” control sequence, specify your normal chiller
sequence of operations

4.       Then create a Load Management of type OA-TEMP.

a.       Set the outside air temperature below which free cooling is active
under management sequence 1, and assign the free cooling control sequence
defined in the previous step.

b.      Set management sequence 2 to a maximum OSA temp of 999, and assign
the normal control sequence from the previous step

Integrating WSE into eQuest is one of those things I always plan on
spending extra time on – the devil is in the details!  I don’t believe
waterside economizer systems are something you can make a simple rote
procedure around, as actual waterside economizer system
operations/limitations are varied and nuanced.  Consider this a simple
outline to convey the approach concept & get you started.  I would
particularly advise paying close attention to your pumping and heat
rejection energies from this point forward.

Hope that helps get you started - Happy new year!

~Nick

*NICK CATON, P.E.*
*Owner*

*Caton Energy Consulting*