[Equest-users] Using C-ACTIVITY-DESC in keyword expressions to assign LPD, equipment loads etc.

Maria Karpman maria.karpman at karpmanconsulting.net
Mon Jul 28 09:52:54 PDT 2014

My vote is to simplify interior geometry as much as possible, as allowed by
App G. In our experience, having too many spaces / zones significantly
increases calculation time, complicates model editing, and makes eQUEST less
stable (i.e. increases likelihood of crashes). Arguably, breaking the actual
HVAC zones into separate spaces based on space type conflicts with App G
Table G3.1 #7 which says that “
where HVAC zones are defined on HVAC design
drawings, each HVAC zone shall be modeled as a separate thermal block“.
eQUEST assumes that each space is an HVAC zone with its own thermostat / VAV
box, so modeling spaces within a zone may skew results compared to the model
that reflects the actual HVAC zoning.

You can still use expressions that Bill described below for zones with
homogeneous space types or with one predominant occupancy. For example, if
98% of zone area are corridors, and 2% are restrooms, using corridor LPD for
the entire zone in the baseline will have negligible impact on results. For
zones with diverse space types, we typically over-write the user default
(LPD based on activity type) with user expressions like the one below, for a
zone with 60% area taken by corridors, 10% by lobby, and 30% by storage.
(This expression replicates calculations done by eQUEST DD Wizard which
generates zone LPD based on inputs on screens 13 and 14 of the Shell
sequence.)

Maria

--

Maria Karpman LEED AP, BEMP