[Equest-users] Weather Normalizing an eQuest Model

Jacob Goodman jacobgoodman22 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 14 10:08:03 PDT 2014

Dear List,

After much googleing I found some close answers, but not exact. My task
this weekend is to take an eQuest model and "Weather normalize" it. To
do this I need to create a .bin weather file for San Diego for the full
year 2013 and then run the model using that weather. My approach so far
is to download a .txt file from:

  https://gis.ncdc.noaa.gov/map/viewer/#app=cdo&cfg=cdo&theme=hourly&layers=1

Then selecting only "Air Temperature Observations" (do I want other
variables?) and generating the output sent to me as:

http://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/3303657117758dat.txt

Then I tried to convert "SanDiegoTemp.txt" to a .bin file using the
PKAFT command to call the TXT2BIN application from the DOE2 website. I
edited the PKAFT batch file to change the directory path from "C:/doe22"
(that was the default) to point to my weather directory that containd
the .txt file that I got from NOAA. I then typed "PKAFT SandDiego" hit
enter got a message:

/This shell file packs an unpacked DOE-2 weather file.//
//The file was unpacked wth wthfmt2 and has an .ft extension//
//(which is not included in the call to this procedure.)//
//Param 1 is file name.  Param 2 is S or NS for solar or nonsolar.//
//S for TMY, WYEC; NS for TRY.//
//If Param 2 is not specified the type found on the .ft file will be used.//
//A WTH stat run is also made on the file and all output//
// is moved into the INPUT directory./

Then hit continue and got the error:

/ERROR:missing input data file - c:\Users....the
path...\weather\SanDiegotemp.ft

/No .bin file was produced and it looks to me like the program is
looking for a .ft file not a .txt file. Any advice? Is there an easier
way to get a 2013 San Diego .bin file?

Thanks much and hope everyone is having a great weekend,
Jacob