[Equest-users] Edit .bin Weather Files

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Wed Jun 18 02:41:30 PDT 2014

This question is very similar to the one to which I responded on
Saturday on Weather Normalizing an eQuest model.
You might want to review that post for some observations about working
with DOE-2 packed weather files.
If you want to edit a DOE-2 *.bin weather file, you can use the DOE-2
weather packer (doewth.exe) that has an EDIT
option. doewth is an old style Fortran program that runs in batch mode.
You would need to turn your data into an input text file, but the file
must have the exact fixed field format as explained in the documentation
in the original DOE-2 Reference Manual Volume Two, circa 1982.  I've
never used this feature in doewth, and it might be easier instead to
find and edit the original text weather file in a format recognized by
doewth, e.g., TMY2 fixed field, and then repack the file anew.  Once
you're editing a weather file, it's highly recommended that the new data
contain all the weather parameters, especially the four most important
ones of temperature, humidity, wind speed, and solar radiation.

Joe
Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D