[Equest-users] Night Cycle Fan Control

Gerard Hazel ghazel at meengineers.com
Wed Mar 19 07:25:10 PDT 2014

Hi All,

We have an issue with a model that we were hoping to get some feedback
on from the eQuest community.

For ASHRAE HVAC System #8, how would you approach the night cycle fan
control?  ASHRAE 90.1 par. G3.1.2.4 doesn't really cover this for System
8 and leaves it open to have the baseline as "Cycle on Any."  However
with PFP boxes, you could also argue it should be "Zone fans only" since
they are part of System 8.  There is no clear direction one way or the
other in ASHRAE that we can find.  Depending what you choose, it can be
a major energy factor on the baseline.  What's the right answer?  The
proposed design is Zone Fans only if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry Hazel

Gerard Hazel

M&E Engineers, Inc.