[Equest-users] no cooling in Winter (UNCLASSIFIED)

Eurek, John S NWO John.S.Eurek at usace.army.mil
Tue Mar 18 07:24:54 PDT 2014

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

A well insulated office building with good air tightness and full of people and office equipment will likely need cooling in winter.

Sort of the same way I sweat my behind off in -10 degree weather while shoveling snow, wearing gloves, hat, snow pants, 2 coats and burning a lot of calories.... after 20 minutes I start to overheat. Building can't dress in layers, so they have to run the A/C to stay cool.

If you are wondering why the energy model would run a condensing unit or chiller instead of using an economizer (bringing in cold outside air) that is another question. I don't know if that is what you are asking. (If that is your question, I don't know the answer.)

John Eurek PE, LEED AP
Mechanical Engineer,
US Army Corps of Engineers
Omaha District CENWO-ED-DA