[Equest-users] eQUEST v3.65 build 7163 released Mar 18 2014

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Sun Mar 30 06:37:05 PDT 2014

Hello fellow modelers!

As someone who is very familiar with OpenStudio ecosystem of tools (PSD is an NREL  licensed provider of OpenStudio training, support services and consulting),  I'd like to take a moment to elaborate on a few issues being discussed in this thread:

1)      OpenStudio / SketchUp  - Licensing issues

a.       The current  Trimble website for SketchUp (http://www.sketchup.com/download/all) still offer users a choice of either free (SketchUp Make 2014 or SketchUp v8.0) or pay (SketchUp Pro 2104 or SketchUp Pro 2013) versions for download.

b.      The licensing terms for SketchUp Make 2014 (the currently available free version) clearly list the software as for non-commercial use.

c.       The licensing terms for SketchUp 8.0 (released by Google in September 2010, prior to the Trimble acquisition) are much looser and allow for it to be used for commercial use.

d.      Versions of the OpenStudio SketchUp plugin will function correctly in ANY of the SketchUp versions mentioned above

e.      Trimble could remove the download link for SketchUp 8 (and stop supporting it) at any time.  Users will likely be able to find SketchUp 8 installation executables (from mirrored sites) for a long time.

f.        The OpenStudio roadmap (https://openstudio.nrel.gov/openstudio-roadmap) refers to an item for FY 2015 and beyond titled "Support for additional (simpler) geometry editing alternatives". This is clearly roadmap speak for development of an alternative (to SketchUp) geometry editor for OpenStudio.

2)      OpenStudio / SketchUp object models - integration

a.       The OpenStudio SketchUp Plugin is attempting to maintain two different object models simultaneously - i.e. in parallel. One object model (defined by objects contained in the .skp file) contains SketchUp objects such as dimension lines, views, patterns, surfaces, etc.  The 2nd object model (.osm) contains objects related to OpenStudio (OpenStudio surfaces, subsurfaces, surface properties, schedules, etc.).  The two models, while sharing a common workspace, are not linked in a way that they know that the other exists. In other words, they are independent from one another.

b.      With a little practice / training, it can be clear when working in the SketchUp workspace, which objects you are creating and when (you can easily go back and forth, but not so easily undo the creation of OS objects in SketchUp).

c.       When one is authoring OpenStudio models in SketchUp, they need to save the files (.skp and .osm) independently. Then, when opening/reloading - the users should open each independently and in reverse order, as well.

3)      OS SketchUp Plugin / OpenStudio Application linkages

a.       A 'loose' (one-way notification of changes) connection between the two applications exists. If a user has a file open in both SketchUp Plugin and  the OS Application open at the same time, this needs careful management.

                                                               i.      One can 'launch' the OpenStudio Application from within the SketchUp Plugin environment, thus having the same .osm file opened for parallel editing inside two different applications at the same time.

                                                             ii.      Changes / updates saved to a file while in the OpenStudio Application will notify the SketchUp plugin to be reloaded, thus resynchronizing what the user is seeing.

                                                            iii.      Changes / updates saved to a file in the SketchUp Plugin will not notify the OpenStudio Application to be reloaded, preventing synchronization and requiring a re-launch.

4)      OS - Lack of field descriptions  (user help)

a.       Many data object and properties in OpenStudio map 1:1 to a corresponding EnergyPlus object. In these cases, referring to the (*well documented) EnergyPlus Input/Output reference and/or Engineering reference can be very helpful. Our friends at Big Ladder software have converted these enormous pdf documents to searchable and hyperlinked text here: http://bigladdersoftware.com/epx/docs/. I have found this to be an extremely useful resource.

IN the next few weeks, PSD will be opening registration for a free OpenStudio webinar to demonstrate some of the new features available in OpenStudio V1.3. While still an interface that some might call 'rough on the edges' - it offers access to some innovative modeling capabilities that are difficult to find in other software tools. Look for the invite to learn more.

All the Best,

_Chris

Chris Balbach, PE, CEM, CMVP, BESA
Vice President of Research and Development
Performance Systems Development of NY, LLC
124 Brindley Street, Suite 4, Ithaca, NY 14850
http://www.psdconsulting.com
ph: (607)-327-1647