[Equest-users] Cuved roof in Equest

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon May 12 08:24:01 PDT 2014

Hi Sravya,

I’d be a proponent of simply adjusting the zonal heights between your hall zones and room zones, to match averaged ceiling height for each (achieving corrected space volume).  This should be a fair approximation.  If you do only this in detailed mode I think you’ll end up with “holes” along the rooftop in the 3D view, at each roof elevation change.  I would leave as such, as the area for roof conduction should be approximated pretty well in this fashion.

Other thoughts per your 3D view:

-          I think you’re missing some sky lights for zone 3,

-          Suggesting a shading element to account for the covered balconies, reducing solar loads incident on zone 1.  You could do the same to account for the balcony construction below.

-          Take note if zones 3/4 as illustrated are modeled with ordinary envelope constructions out of the wizards, your model is dealing with much more exterior exposure to outside conditions.
[cid:image003.png at 01CF6DCA.E111B850]

If you mean to do a prettier job of it in 3D view, with tilted roof sections, you’ve got quite a bit more work ahead of you, and would want to do some zonal height adjustment as illustrated, regardless.  See attached discussion for more on how I’d approach adjusting tilt for each surface.

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER