[Equest-users] Modelling multilayer thick wall in eQUEST

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Thu May 15 11:28:44 PDT 2014

Prasad,

I don't think modeling the wall in another way will overcome the problem of  "Wall too
thick", which indicates that DOE-2 is not able to derive a common ratio for the wall
response factors after 100 time steps.  Please check your inputs to make sure that they're
correct, and if so, then your wall construction is simply too massive or has  too much
thermal discontinuity (?) across the layers, like concrete, insulation, concrete,
insulation, etc.  for DOE-2 to handle.  You can model the wall as a pure resistance layer,
but then it would have no thermal mass at all. Better to play around with the material
properties, esp. the specific-heat, until the error goes away.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D